Monday 23 March 2009

biography

Despite being the daughter of two famous political writers Mary Wollstonecraft and William Godwin, Mary Shelley only began writing at the insistence of her husband, Romantic poet Percy Shelley.
Mary Shelley tells that her literary evolution began with the writing of Frankenstein: 'My husband, however, from the first, very anxious that I should prove myself Worthy of my parentage and enrol myself on the page of fame.
He was forever Inciting me to obtain literary reputation, which even on my own part I cared for Then, though since I have become infinitely indifferent to it. At this time he Desired that I should write, not so much with the idea that I could produce Anything worthy of notice, but that he might himself judge how far I possessed The promise of better things hereafter. Still I did nothing. Travelling, and the Cares of the family occupied my time; and study, in the way of reading or improving my ideas in communication with his far more cultivated mind, was all Of literary employment that engaged my attention '

Critics consider Frankenstein one of the best Gothic novels because it synthesized natural philosophy and 19th century scientific experimentation with Mary Shelley's own literary influences and personal vision. Percy Shelley's assessment of his wife's writing: 'Frankenstein is} one of the most original and complete productions of the day. We debate with ourselves in wonder, as we read it, what could have been the Series of thoughtswhat could have been the peculiar experiences that Awakened themwhich conduced, in the author's mind, to the astonishing Combinations of motives and incidents and the startling catastrophe, which Compose this tale'